Chris E. McGoey is an internationally known author, trainer, speaker, private investigator, and security consultant. He is an expert in the fields of security management, crime and loss prevention, investigations, and premises liability. He specializes in the anticipation, recognition, and appraisal of crime risk on most commercial property types. He consults with business owners and managers, insurance agencies, and the police on how to develop a security plan to reduce the crime risk. Mr. McGoey also consults with the media, attorneys, and testifies as a security expert witness in various jurisdictions.
Security Consulting Services
Chris McGoey has conducted over 7000 security surveys of commercial properties where crime has been a problem and has provided advice on how to reduce the risk. He has performed thousands of crime demographic studies, risk assessments, and investigations. Mr. McGoey is an expert on the subjects of violence on commercial properties and retail loss prevention, some of which he perfected while developing the 7-Eleven Robbery and Loss Prevention programs throughout the United States.
Expert Witness Services
Chris McGoey is a highly-acclaimed security expert witness. He has testified over 400 times at deposition and 80 times at trial. He testifies as a security expert witness in litigation matters involving allegations of crime foreseeability, inadequate security, premises liability, loss prevention, and in security officer negligence matters involving allegations of negligent hiring, training, supervision, misconduct, false arrest, false imprisonment, racial profiling, and excessive use of force. He has worked for both Plaintiff and Defense firms as a consultant or expert witness at a ratio of 45/55%.
Apartments, Condominiums, Hotels, Resorts, Motels, Grocery Stores, Department Stores, Convenience Stores, Liquor Stores, Nightclubs, Bars, Gas Stations, Fast-Food Restaurants, Shopping Centers, Office Buildings, Retail Stores, Banks, ATM machines, Universities, Hospitals, Schools, Restaurants, Movie Theaters, Casinos, Sports Stadiums, Parking Lots, Parking Garages, Public Parks.
Criminal Activity Solutions
Homicide, Kidnap, Rape, Sexual Assault, Robbery, Stalking, Carjacking, Aggravated Assault, Simple Assault, Battery, Gang Activity, Drug Activity, Assault with Deadly Weapon, Weapons Screening, Residential Burglary, Commercial Burglary, Auto Theft, Auto Burglary, Shoplifting, Grand Theft, Petty theft, Employee Theft, Vandalism, Loitering, Trespassing, Fraud, Identity Theft, Bullying, False Arrest, False Imprisonment, Racial Profiling, Excessive Use of Force, and Workplace Violence.
Mr. McGoey has 46 years of education and experience and has absorbed thousands of hours of specialized training. Throughout his career, he has developed cost effective security programs for commercial properties of all sizes and for many internationally known corporations. He has thousands of hours of hands-on experience working with commercial properties such as nightclubs, retail stores, shopping centers, convenience store chains, fast-food outlets, and apartment properties. He has earned a solid reputation for conceiving solutions that are practical, reasonable, and effective because of having been there and knowing that security programs must interface with the asset protected. He has assisted in developing crime prevention legislation and has received awards for his service to his profession.
Mr. McGoey has an A.A. degree in Police Science, a B.S. degree in Criminal Justice Administration, and has completed twelve-units towards an M.S. degree in the same major.
He is a frequent speaker on the subjects of crime foreseeability, crime prevention, retail security, and premises liability and has consulted with or appeared on many radio and television shows including Good Morning America, 60-Minutes, Dateline, the View, CSI, Dr. Phil Show, Geraldo Show, Court TV, WABC, When Seconds Count, EXTRA, Inside Edition, the BBC, Talk Radio Europe, China Radio International, and a special investigative report on ABC News 20/20.
He has authored over 90 articles, 14 Crime School personal safety videos, Crime School Podcast, 21 book chapters, and has published 2 books entitled, Security: Adequate...or Not? and Security Expert's Guide to Premises Liability Litigation.
Professional Licenses & Certifications
- Licensed Private Investigator (PI-11319 - California)
- Licensed Proprietary Private Security Employer (PSE-228)
- Certified Protection Professional (CPP)
- Certified Security Professional (CSP)
- Certified International Crime Prevention Specialist (ICPS)
- Certified Professional Investigator (CPI)
- Certified Apartment Manager (CAM)
- Certified Private Security Officer Instructor (P-00036)
- Certified Defensive Tactics System Instructor (5231225)
- Certified Instructor - Expandable Baton Defense (100802)
- Certified Instructor - Handcuffing Tactics (222003)
- Certified Instructor - OC Pepper Spray Defense (188003)
- Certified Instructor - Crime Free Business Program
- Certified Instructor - Crime Free Multi-Housing Program
- Certified Instructor - Crime Free Hotel-Motel Program
- Certified Instructor - Crime Free Mini-Storage Program
- Certified Instructor - Crime Free Mobile Housing Program
- Certified Instructor - Crime Prevention CPTED - (POST)
- Certified Trusted Traveler U.S. Dept of Homeland Security
- Certified Gunshot & Stabbing Wound Life-Saver Trainer
- Certified Life Support for Healthcare Providers, (CPR & AED)
- Certified Universal First Aid
Mr. McGoey is the only security consultant with 19 certifications
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Achievement Award - Nominee for an honor bestowed on those individuals who have over an extended period of time contributed an extraordinary amount of time and effort to the California Association of Licensed Investigators and to the betterment of the professions in the investigation or security industries in general (2015).
- Domain Hall of Fame ? CrimeDoctor.com website received a Gold Certified ranking for having more consistent visitor traffic than 99% of similar content websites (2013).
- Top Security Guard Training Website ? CrimeDoctor.com voted #2 - Top 50 Security Guard Training Websites of the world (2012).
- Lifetime CAM Certification: Awarded lifetime Emeritus status as a Certified Apartment Manager by the National Apartment Association (2011).
- Lifetime Honorary Member: First active member to receive this award from the International Crime Free Association (2011).
- Lifetime Achievement Award: For Support, Dedication, and Achievement in Crime Prevention presented by the International Crime Free Association (2010).
- Advisor to Executive Board: Appointed by the Executive Board of Directors of the International Crime Free Association (2010).
- Community Service Award: In recognition for your assistance and support to law enforcement agencies in Orange County, California (2009).
- Directors Award: In recognition for contribution and support of crime prevention and the commitment to safer communities by the California Crime Prevention Officers? Association, Region-Five (2009).
- ASIS International Professional Certification Board: In recognition of twenty-five years of dedication to professional excellence as a CPP Certified Protection Professional (2008).
- Quarter Century Club: Elite status awarded by ASIS International for dedication, commitment, and loyalty to the security association for twenty-five years (2008).
- Certificate of Appreciation: Honored by the ASIS International in recognition of significant contribution to the aims and objectives of the society (2008).
- Directors Award: Presented in recognition for contribution and support of crime prevention and the commitment to safer communities by the California Crime Prevention Officers Association, (2007).
- Certificate of Appreciation: Honored by the California Crime Prevention Officer?s Association as the featured crime prevention trainer at the 32nd Annual Training Conference, (2006).
- Directors Special Service Award: Honored by the International Crime Free Association for continuing educational contributions to crime prevention and for website development, (2006).
- Silver Award: Honored by the American Association of Webmasters for recognition in design, style, creativity, and content of the Crime Doctor Website (2005).
- Golden Web Award: Selected by the International Association of Webmasters and Designers as one of the best websites for design and content on the internet, (2003-2004).
- Exemplary Service Award: Honored by the International Crime Free Association at the Fifth Annual International conference in Savannah, (2002).
- ATM Security Judge: Selected as one-of-three global judges to select winning entries in the first international ATM Industry Association crime prevention awards, (2002).
- Directors Award: Presented for valued contribution to the California Association of Licensed Investigators - CALI, (2002).
- Honorary Charter Membership: Special status awarded for on-going educational contributions by the Board of Directors of the International Crime Free Association, (2002).
- ASIS Honor, Honored by the American Society for Industrial Security by publishing my CPP Member Profile on their website and newsletter, (2000).
- Top Web Site Award, presented by Mr. Landlord for the Crime Doctor® web site that was voted one of the top websites in the United States for rental property owners, (1999).
- Distinguished Contributor Award, presented by the American Society for Industrial Security, (1998).
- Library of Congress: Mr. McGoey?s book, Security Adequate or Not? The Complete Guide to Premises Liability Litigation was reviewed and two copies accepted to the U.S. Library of Congress law library reading room, Washington DC (1990).
- President's Award for District Governor of the Year, presented by the California Association of Licensed Investigators - CALI, (1987-1988).
- Governors Award for Significant Contribution to Crime Prevention, presented by Governor Robert List, State of Nevada, (1980).
- ASIS International - American Society for Industrial Security
- International Crime Free Association - Lifetime Membership
- International Society of Crime Prevention Practitioners
- California Association of Licensed Investigators
- California Crime Prevention Officers Association
- Crime Prevention Coalition of America
- California Robbery Investigators Association
- Los Angeles Area Organized Retail Crime Association
- Retail Special Agents Association
- National Bar & Restaurant Association
- National Apartment Association
- California Apartment Association
- Apartment Association of Greater Inland Empire
- American Society for Training & Development
- National Association of Internet Broadcasters
A resume and fee schedule are available to clients upon request